Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: Liebert

St. Joseph’s Hospital


by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: Water Street, Hancock Built: 1902-04; demolished late 1985 Contractor: Fred E. King and Co.; Plastering: William Patton; Plumbing and gas: Fred Stoyle; Heating: James Sullivan; Electric wiring: George H. Hall and Co.; Tile and marble: George H. Rees; contractor for laundry building: George McGlynn.1 St. Mary’s Hospital was established in 1896 in Bishop John Vertin’s family home in Hancock. In 1903 construction […]

Continue Reading →

Whittle House


by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: 415 Cooper Ave. East Hancock Built: 1902-3 Thomas Whittle, chief mining captain for the Quincy Mining Company, purchased this property and had two houses removed from it and placed at the top of Vivian Street. The house was built as a wedding gift for his wife, Lylie. The two-and-a-half-story house had a cross-gabled roof with projections in the peaks of the gables. […]

Continue Reading →

J.E. Scallon House


by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: 1209 Quincy St., Hancock Built: 1901-02 This rambling house has an irregular roofline, projections and recessions, bay windows, dormers of different shapes, and porches. Located on the far west side of Hancock, this house was built for Dr. J. E. Scallon. It was planned in 1901, and was to be one of the “costly and elegant” houses in Hancock. The newspaper described […]

Continue Reading →

Bosch Building


by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: 150 Shelden St. Houghton Built: ca. 1900 Contractor: Herman Gundlach This brick and stone building was constructed by 1901, when Napoleon Carpentier ran a saloon here. He sold to the Bosch Brewing Co. in 1904 and this became a Bosch saloon run by Henry Feldman.1 The two-story brick building has been heavily modified on the first floor, where most of the sandstone is […]

Continue Reading →