by Matt Johnson.
English-born architect John B. Sutcliffe (1853-1913), who specialized in Episcopal church architecture, designed Houghton’s Trinity Church in 1910.
John B. Sutcliffe, born in England, trained as an architect there. He moved to the United States in 1886 and settled in Birmingham, Alabama. There he designed his first church, St. Mary’s-on-the-Highlands, in 1891. He moved to Chicago in the early 1890s and became advisory architect to the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Springfield, Illinois, in 1897.1 Sutcliffe’s work includes Christ Episcopal Church in Pensacola, Florida (1903), St. Paul the Apostle Church in Savannah, Georgia (1905),2 Grace Episcopal Church in Oak Park, Illinois (1905), and St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Evanston, Illinois (1906).3 Sutcliffe died in 1913.
- Historic Savannah Foundation press release announcing lecture by John M. Schnorrenberg on “John Sutcliffe and St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Savannah: An Architect Matures His Style,” on March 6, 2007.
- The Episcopal Church of St. Paul the Apostle.
- St. Luke’s Episcopal Church.