Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: 1920s

Hancock Central High School

hancockhighschool

by Andrew Bolthouse Architect: G.L. Lockhart Alternative Name: Hancock Middle School Location: 417 Quincy Street, Hancock Built: 1923-24 Contractor: Archie Verville Electrical contract: Cuff & Co. (Edward Cuff) Plumbing: Gibson Plumbing Co., Minneapolis After the previous high school burned down on July 25, 1922, a new high school was constructed behind the site of the previous one. The Gothic Revival school had a large expanse of south-facing windows, consistent with […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan College of Mines, Chemistry Building

koenighall2sm

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak Architect: Herbst & Kuenzli Alternative Name: Koenig Hall Location: Houghton, MI Built: 1920-22 Contractor: Herman Gundlach Addition in 1931: Derrick Hubert, architect; Archie Verville, contractor Demolished: 1968   On March 4, 1920, a fire destroyed Koenig Hall, the chemistry building. A new building was needed quickly and inexpensively due to a large student body and a lack of many other buildings […]

Continue Reading →

Keweenaw County Sheriff’s Residence and Jail

jail

by Bradley Plummer Architect: John B. Sweatt Location: 4th Street, Eagle River Built: 1886 Modified: 1925 This structure was designed by Sweatt, though its appearance has since changed. Originally it was a two-and-one-half-story rectangular structure with clapboard walls and a steep-pitch, hip-roof. The rear of the structure, the jail, was constructed of coursed rubble stone. Early photographs also show an open porch across the front of the Sheriff’s Residence. The […]

Continue Reading →