Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: hospital

St. Joseph’s Hospital

stjosephhospitalearly

by Joe Lukaszewski Architect: Hans T. Liebert Location: Water Street, Hancock Built: 1902-04; demolished late 1985 Contractor: Fred E. King and Co.; Plastering: William Patton; Plumbing and gas: Fred Stoyle; Heating: James Sullivan; Electric wiring: George H. Hall and Co.; Tile and marble: George H. Rees; contractor for laundry building: George McGlynn.1 St. Mary’s Hospital was established in 1896 in Bishop John Vertin’s family home in Hancock. In 1903 construction […]

Continue Reading →

Tamarack Hospital

tamarackhospital

by Kiel Vanderhovel and Derek Dykens Architect: Charles K. Shand Location: Beach at 3rd Street, Tamarack Location Built: 1900 Demolished The Tamarack Hospital was hailed as a “model hospital” when it was constructed, although in appearance it resembled a Queen Anne Revival mansion.1 The walls of the 60-foot-square two-and-a-half-story building were sandstone on the first floor and frame above, sided with narrow clapboards. The gable roof was punctured by symmetrical three-story […]

Continue Reading →

James R. and Virginia Cooper House

cooperhouse

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: 211 (formerly 110) A St., East Hancock Built: 1900 Demolished: 1930s James R. Cooper, head of the Detroit & Lake Superior Smelter Company, also designed Quincy’s new smelter in 1898 and was superintendent from 1898-1906. Apparently, housing was part of that arrangement, because in 1900 Quincy gave him $7,000 to underwrite the cost of his […]

Continue Reading →