by A. K. Hoagland.
Although based in Chicago, John D. Chubb gained a lot of Upper Peninsula commissions and kept a branch office in Marquette. With the Copper Country’s architects dwindling in number in the 1910s, then finally nonexistent in the 1920s and 1930s, Chubb took on a few projects here.
John D. Chubb (1869-1938) was born in Plymouth, England, but came to Marquette as a child. He returned to England for training, then apprenticed with architects H. Gregory and J. B. Sweatt in Marquette in the late 1880s. He worked for several other architects before starting his own firm in Chicago in the late 1890s. He developed a practice throughout the upper Midwest that specialized in public buildings, especially schools. He designed the high schools for Marquette, Ishpeming, Negaunee, Escanaba, Gladstone, Rapid River, Stambaugh, Norway, Munising, and Iron River. For a time he had a branch office in Marquette.1
- Iron Mining and Agriculture: Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Souvenir Edition of the Mining Journal, Marquette, Michigan, 1913. Steven C. T. Brisson, “D. Fred Charlton’s Architectural Practice and Design in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, 1887-1918” (M.A. thesis, SUNY-Oneonta, Cooperstown Graduate Program, 1992), 40-41.