by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak.
Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar
Location: 701 Calumet St., Lake Linden
Begun: 1901-02, with C. A. Pearce, associate architect
Completed: 1912 with a modified design, A. F. Wasielewski, architect
By 1897 the French Canadian congregation of St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church had outgrown its 1871 church building, so it decided to build a new stone church at the same location. Charlton, Gilbert & Demar, with C. A. Pearce, Associate Architect, produced working drawings in August 1901, although detail drawings from a few months later had the title block of Charlton & Gilbert, along with Pearce.1 By January 1902 the lower level of the new church was completed, but construction on the new building halted for lack of funds. Mass was held in the basement of the church until enough money was raised to complete construction.2 Architect A. F. Wasielewski modified the design and the building was completed in 1912.
Charlton, Gilbert & Demar’s design called for a Jacobsville sandstone building with a strong central tower, flanked by two subsidiary towers at the corners. The three-part entrance was framed with Ionic columns surmounted by a cornice. In the original design, the church faced Front Street, the main street in Lake Linden. But by 1912 the main street had shifted one block west to Calumet St., so Wasielewski reoriented the church to face the new main street.
Buildings by Charlton, et al., in the Copper Country
- Michigan Mining School, Engineering Building 1894
- J. Vivian, Jr. & Co. Building 1894
- Kroll Block 1897
- Vivian House 1898
- Hancock Town Hall and Fire Hall 1899
- Ruppe Block 1899
- John Rees House 1899
- Wolverine Copper Company Superintendent’s House 1900
- Wright Block 1900
- James R. and Virginia Cooper House 1900
- Susan Daniell House 1900
- St. Anne’s Church 1901
- John C. Donahue House 1901
- Michigan Mining School, Mining Engineering Building 1902
- Michigan Mining School, Chemistry Building 1902
- Hall Building 1902
- Michigan College of Mines, Gymnasium and Clubhouse 1906
- Calumet Manual Training and High School 1907
- Michigan College of Mines, Administration and Library Building 1908
- Ripley School 1908
- Calumet & Hecla Bathhouse 1911
- St. Joseph’s Church 1912
- Michigan College of Mines, Chemistry Building 1922
- “Working Drawings for St. Joseph’s Church at Lake Linden, Michigan, August 1901,” Charlton, Gilbert & Demar and C. A. Pearce, Associate Architect, in possession of St. Joseph’s Church.
- Eric E. Olson, “A Brief History of St. Joseph’s Church,” undated typescript in possession of St. Joseph’s Church.