Copper Country Architects

Biographical Dictionary of Copper Country Architects

Tag: 1890s

Hermann Building

hermannbuilding

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Charles W. Maass Location: 106 6th St., Calumet Built: 1898 Joseph Hermann had this combination commercial-residential building constructed. The walls of uncoursed ashlar sandstone are complemented by a pressed metal cornice and window hoods. High-grade, purer red sandstone is used on the front, while the sides and rear are of a poorer grade. The 48’ x 68’ building had two stores on the first floor; the […]

Continue Reading →

Kinsman Block

kinsmanblocklate

by Morgan Davis. Architect: Charles W. Maass Alternative Name: William Wayner Building Location: 101 6th Street, Calumet Built: 1898 Contractors: P.P. Roehm, masonry; and Bajari & Ulseth, carpentry W.C. Kinsman learned the trade of harness-making in Cornwall and established a business in Red Jacket in 1872. He engaged Maass to draw the plans for a building to serve as commercial space and apartments. Maass designed a three-story Portage Entry sandstone […]

Continue Reading →

Vivian House

vivianhouseearly

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: Pewabic and 3rd streets, Laurium Built: 1898 This Shingle Style house has a Jacobsville sandstone first floor and the distinguishing shingles on the second floor. Numerous porches and porticos project, including a squat round tower at one corner and a porte cochere on the opposite side. The semicircular portico has been removed.  Johnson Vivian, Jr., […]

Continue Reading →

Duncan Campbell House I

Campbell House 1 Late

by A. K. Hoagland. Architect: Duncan Campbell Location: 209 Pewabic St., Laurium Built: 1898 Duncan Campbell bought this lot in 1898 for $500 and sold it a year later for $4,900, presumably with a new house on it. The buyer was Clara J. Douglas, who lived there with her husband, Frank, an insurance agent. In 1902 Thomas J. Hoatson paid $7,200 for the house, which he and his family occupied while […]

Continue Reading →

Quincy Mining Company Office Building

quincymineoffice

by Josh Makela Architect: Robert Correa Walsh Location: US-41, Hancock Built: 1895-1897 Quincy Mining Company began construction of its office building in late 1895 and completed it in 1897.1 The building served as the main office of the Quincy Mining Company in Michigan; the company was headquartered in New York. Company Treasurer William R. Todd lived in Morristown and recommended his neighbor, Robert C. Walsh, as the architect.2 There is no evidence […]

Continue Reading →

Kroll Block

krollblock

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton, Gilbert, & Demar Location: 606 Shelden St., Houghton Built: 1897 Contractors: Wilson and Sampson Although this building bears the date “1897” on its front, Eckert dates it to 1899-1900 and credits it to Charlton, Gilbert & Demar.1 The two-story building has had its cornice removed and its first floor altered, but the second floor exhibits three graceful round-arched windows […]

Continue Reading →

Roehm House

roehmhouse

by Scott Hager Architect: William Pryor Location: 101 Willow Street (corner of First and Boundary), Laurium Built: 1895-96 Paul P. Roehm (1857-1925) was a contractor and coal dealer, but this house exhibits another of his lines of work, and that was masonry. A rare example of a Jacobsville sandstone house, this is a particularly ornate one. The three-story, round corner tower is the most distinguishing feature. A verandah curves around […]

Continue Reading →

Seth D. North & Son Store

northgm

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak Architect: Demar & Lovejoy Location: Quincy Hill, Hancock Built: 1894-95 Contractor: E. E. Grip & Co. Demolished This building was a two-story store constructed of variegated Jacobsville sandstone. Paired plate-glass windows flanked the round-arched center entrance. Round-arched windows illuminated the second floor. The building had no cornice. Quincy Mining Company built a store and operated it in 1863-64, but lost […]

Continue Reading →

J. Vivian, Jr. & Co. Building

vivianbldgearly

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Gilbert Location: 342 Hecla St., Laurium Built: 1894 Masonry: Paul Rohem Carpentry: Edward Ulseth Johnson Vivian, a Cornish mining captain with diverse commercial interests, brought his son, Johnson Vivian, Jr., into the mercantile business when he established a store in Osceola in 1886. In 1894 they established a branch in Laurium. The store was immediately successful and spurred […]

Continue Reading →

Michigan Mining School, Engineering Building

mmschool

by Dany Peavey, Stevan Sliger, John Krystof, and Travis Dvorak. Architect: Charlton & Gilbert Alternative Name: Mechanical Engineering Building, Shops Building, Materials Processing Laboratory Location: Houghton, MI Built: 1893-94 Demolished: 1966 Charlton & Gilbert designed the second building on the college’s campus, a two-story, hip-roofed structure laid out in a U shape with the wings projecting forward. Between them was a one-story porch that supported a polygonal oriel at the […]

Continue Reading →